Search This Blog

Monday 8 June 2009

RRAS Connections

And for my next trick...

I will attempt to connect to the internet using an existing connection and a big shiny router.

Sounds easy, straightforward, simple and all that, but it may not be. I've had a few looks at this in the past, and it seems reasonable and all that, but it's just not so simple.

The problem is that the router is connected to the internet and has 6 public facing IP addresses. The internal side has a single IP address, and I need to connect to it using a specific IP address from a firewall.

Still with me?

Good.

I then have to share this connection with our network on a separate network definition. This is where I start to swear under my breath and utter oathes about Bill Gates AND Linus Torvalds.

My First port of call is Google, closely followed by Serverfault.com and trying to work out the questions to ask before I can recognise the answers I get.

I intended originally to use Windows RRAS (Routing and Remote Access Services) but am starting to realise they may not be the best solution. I am now considering a 'Nix based software firewall solution, but I have no experience with this OS other than playing with the web intrerfaces of other routers.

I could always get funky and build something from scratch, but that may be substantially less fun than I think it might be!

In the meantime, we'll keep browsing the web through our ADSL connection!

No comments: