Search This Blog

Thursday 4 June 2009

Incoming Calls from a Bank

Over the past few weeks I've had a couple of calls from HBOS credit cards. They call up and ask me to give them my postcode and year of birth for security reasons. That's information I could probably get off the internet, or certainly at a library, so it's not hugely secure. Other things like my first school, mothers maiden name etc. aren't much better.

When they've asked me to provide them with the details I've simply answered "No, you tell me what you think it is, and I'll confirm it." They're obviously not going to do this, but why should I risk a scam, right? Maybe it seems a bit far fetched, but I now feel vindicated.

This article appearred on the BBC news website today, and made me feel all smug inside. I now feel justified in giving the people who call me when I'm eating my dinner a harder time than they probably deserved, but it just goes to show that you really can't be too careful.

No comments: