Search This Blog

Wednesday 12 August 2009

Twitter, Facebook and being connected to the world

Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and all that social networking thing ahas largely passed me by for the last few months. I'm aware of them, as a System Administrator I'm aware of the risks they pose as information leak points, and in a supervisory role I'm aware of how time sapping they can be.

I've also realised jsut how good they can be for building your network of friends.

So last week I opened a Facebook account (after growing up from Bebo, which is missing a number of features which Facebook has) and now hae almost 50 connections.

I started a Twitter account, and am following a number of streams as diverse as Stephen Fry and Microsoft. I also have followers. That doesn't make me the Messiah, but I'm working on it. (The beard is coming along nicely, and I could do with a haircut.)

With these new found links I've discovered guys I was at school with doing the same job as me, and doing complimentary things like marketing, sales and people management, as well as accountants. Even roses have thorns... ;-)

I wish I'd done this a few months ago, however... it may have meant I got more help for my imminent house move!

No comments: